Stereotyping

Andrew - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: tolerance

“Me only have one ambition, y’know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together – black, white, Chinese, everyone – that’s all.” This quoting from Bob Marley should be ambitions that everyone should have. We are all the same. So why must people stereotype someone else that has a different ethnicity? Not every person is the same, but then again everyone is different.

Stereotyping does nothing but disrespect the person being stereotyped. It doesn’t only disrespect them, but it disrespects his or her family, ancestors, and friends of the same ethnicity. Not everyone in that certain race will think the same, act the same, or just plainly be the same.

I hear it and see it all the time. Ever since I was little, kids would stereotype other kids for what ethnicity they were. For me example, I remember being stereotyped for being Japanese. I remember kids thought I could speak Japanese and that I could do karate, but I couldn’t.

In Middle School, it changed, people accepted my ethnicity, but I would still be stereotyped! It made no sense at all. In High School, people know me, but still think all of my kind (Japanese) think the same, act the same, and look the same. Why? Not all people are the same in any country. They might have the same physical characteristics, but the might not dress the same, act the same, or think the same way about different subjects.

Not all African-Americans are athletic, not all Asians (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.) are short, and not all Caucasians are rich. Many ethnicities are stereotyped by people in that ethnicity that does something to make the news and get known. Like Osama Bin Laden, he did a lot of bad things in the past, and now many Americans think Iraqis are terrorists. Not true.

So why do we stereotype others? I know that we all have friends that come from different ethnicities. We don’t stereotype them. Why? Because we know them and have been around them all of our lives to know that they aren’t what others think they are. So why can’t we think the same about other people?

Like Bob Marley said, “Me only have one ambition, y’know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together – black, white, Chinese, everyone – that’s all.” I myself would like to see this happen. I would love to see and hear everyone accepting each other no matter what ethnicity they are. Living here in the United States, we all are together and are living with different ethnicities. So why can’t we just live together as Americans instead of individuals?