Trust

Tyler - Hot Springs, Arkansas

What is trust? This is a question everyone asks once in his or her life. Is it when someone tells someone else the aspects of his or her personal life? Not entirely. It’s actually the obligation or responsibility imposed on a person in whom confidence or authority is placed. In many cases it is hard to get anywhere in life without trust, yet others can simply glide through life without it. I believe trust is vital. Without it someone could easily be left without friends, family support, or a relationship, making life more difficult than it needs to be.

Trust has been a problem I have struggled with throughout my entire life. Since early childhood I have been learning what trust is by gaining and losing it through the many people that have come and gone through my life. Trust has many advantages but very serious consequences. I first assumed trust could be found easily from the people in my life. How quickly I discovered that I was wrong. Yet that is the innocence found in a child’s perspective; not knowing what is going on around them, being naive in thinking everyone was able to work properly together without conflict. I believed everyone to trust me with ease because I believed myself to be good and honest.

I never would have realized the magnitude that trust had on two separate individuals. My family is a group of people with the biggest importance when it comes to trust. I have always felt that I can trust them due to the fact that they are my family and they have been through almost every challenge that I have endured. I quickly discovered trust isn’t something that is expected in the beginning of a relationship. To gain trust, a strong relationship of honesty and confidence must first be built. Trust must be obtained by both people; otherwise it creates a false relationship between any two people.

Recently, my brother and I went through a trying time where we both struggled with our trust for each other. Our loss of trust was over a girl. After talking to her for a few weeks I began to enjoy her company, and we started talking. This girl just happened to be my brother’s best friend and a girl he truly cared for. After liking her for a while, my brother discovered we had liked each other. Not telling him the truth in the first place lowered his trust for me. As the months went on his feeling for her increased while my brother’s and my trust for each other began to decrease, due to the distance in our relationship. After several months of fighting, I was the victor, and as the victor I claimed my prize. I often wonder if my happiness was worth losing my brother and the strong relationship of trust we had shared. Due to my selfish desires I chose to accept my happiness over my relationship with my brother. I learned then that trust can be gained or lost at anytime.

Meeting this girl was a new experience to me but I never would have expected the intense inflections of emotions she would eventually put me through. From the start this girl meant a lot to me. But for some reason I wasn’t getting the same vibe from her, and I couldn’t understand what the separation in our relationship was. I trusted her with my personal thoughts and feelings, but I never received anything in return. In every situation she hurt me, and I began to lose my trust for her. Our relationship seemed to be coming to an end. We didn’t get along, and there was no trust left. One day she expressed to me that she had a trust issue, and that she had gone through a difficult time with guys. After talking to her about it, I realized that she was putting her trust in me by bestowing the responsibility of her personal life to me. I learned then that a person can’t force anyone to trust them; they have to earn confidence from that other person.

In going through this rough experience with my brother, I not only learned that trust is important and not easily gained, but love conquers all. It proves that for love some people are willing to do some of the hardest things, not just physically but emotionally too, which is what I had to endure. If someone is willing to pretty much give up his brother, then it must mean something. After that, forgiveness can’t be expected because that trust has to rebuild itself. Only time can tell.

Trust isn’t easy to come by. Some people have been hurt by others and are afraid to trust anyone else. While others feel that the world is a backstabbing place and by trusting someone, emotions of the person become vulnerable. A person never knows what another person has gone through. This is why trust is a responsibility and a confidence. It is earned. Trust for me is essential. I need to be able to trust the other person in my relationship, and I need for them to trust me.

Love conquers all. Trust is not taken, trust is gained.