Four Little Words

Will - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Have you ever been lost in your life? As a young boy, life was simple, and I saw everything in black and white, right and wrong, and good and evil. It all used to be so simple and easy. Later, as I developed into a young man, things began to broaden in my mind. There started to be more grey areas, more decisions than just right and wrong, more parts of life that were deeper than just good versus evil. Life became harder. Everything seemed to become more troubling and confusing everyday. I was trying to decide what group of friends I should hang out with, what road I should go down, what type of guy I wanted to be, and what this life is all about. With all that going on, how was I supposed to know what the correct things for my life were?

Luckily, I grew up in a home that showed me I should live my life according to God’s will. My parents always taught me lessons by using biblical references and applying them to what I was going through. When it came to troublesome times such as the one I experienced about all the tough decisions of what correct things to have in my life, my parents reminded me that Rick Warren said it best when he said, “It’s not about you.” They were telling me that my decisions weren’t about me; they were about God and what he wants for my life.

Coming into youth group at my church as a twelve-year-old seventh grader, I had no idea what was about to happen to me. I expected to keep going through life thinking of myself as a pretty good kid, but I got a loud wakeup call. I began to have deep lessons and bible studies. Things began to jump out at me showing me that I wasn’t living the way God wanted me to live. I didn’t like being shown all the wrong things I was doing, so I decided to tune the speakers out and not listen anymore.

For some reason, God spoke to my heart one night a few years later during a retreat in Northwest Arkansas, and I began to listen again. I was still struggling with these tough decisions around this time. Our speaker mentioned a bible verse talking about the plans of a man’s heart are many, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail. I heard this and thought about it all night as I twisted and turned sleeplessly in my bed as I had too many things on my mind. The next day the speaker continued with that same idea in another lesson. He began to talk about how God will guide people through all the situations and decisions. This lesson really began to make me think even more about what I was going through. I talked to my parents about my decisions later and they reminded me of the quote, “It’s not about you.” This made me realize that my decisions aren’t about what I want and what I like. These decisions that I needed to make were about what God wanted for me and what he had in store for my life.

Finally, I began not to think about what was best for me, but what God would want me to do instead. Now I have found a solid group of friends, good roads to go down, and the guy that I am. Everything is a whole lot clearer and makes more sense. The quote, “It’s not about you,” is what helped me get through this situations the most, and I continue to use it today to help me make decisions for my life. My whole perspective on decisions was changed by hearing those four little words.