An Insight of the Mind

Lucas - Hot Springs, Arkansas

An Insight of the Mind

Have you ever listened to one of your favorite songs? Really listened? Not just sat back and listened, but actually thought about the lyrics? The foundation of a good song is the lyrics, the words that explain something the artist or artists experienced or learned. That’s how I listen to music.

As a teenager, I know that we all look to find our inner personality. Our experiences are what build up how we see the world and all of its issues. How we grow up and the things that are taught to us are what create our opinions and views. And these things will affect our point of view until we are about eighteen or nineteen; even then, we’ll still be affected by our experiences. They just won’t be as effective or concentrated. So I know I’ve still got a few years, but I think I’ve got a good view on myself right now.

Music is my life. I sit back and slip on my headphones, turn on my Ipod and let my mood determine what I listen to. I’ve realized, from personal experience, that the human subconscious listens to what is heard – the music – and builds your opinion about the song. Even though you may have not listened to the song for its lyrics – you just know you really like it – but if you would listen to the lyrics of your favorite songs, you’ll realize that the words resemble a parallel to some aspect of your life or an opinion that you agree with. Take for instance the lyrics of one of my favorites, “…Through God I got rest I see you do reject. Huh, looking at me like you know me, judge me by my clothing skeptical, and all knowing. Step in a room now a days and all eye brows raise…” That’s “U Don’t Know Me,” by MANAFEST. I naturally am a person who believes in peace and equality for everyone, despite what people look like, their beliefs, or any other aspect of them. We’re all human. He’s Jewish, they’re German, she’s Goth, he’s Black… It’s not a bad thing, so I try not to judge.

The first time I listened to that song, I wasn’t listening to the lyrics (other than the chorus that is) but my subconscious was. If the lyrics were any others, and the beat the same, I probably would not have liked it, despite the fact that I wasn’t even listening to the words.

I’m open to all types of people, and I’ll talk to them, help them, listen to them…whatever they need. I want to help people and see them flourish instead of crash and burn simply because no one wants to talk to them, just because they’re different. People at Lakeside, and practically everywhere else, won’t talk to people because others think they are different. Everyone should give each other a chance. Get to learn the person before they make a decision if they don’t like the person. All my life I’ve been stereotyped, as have most others at one point, simply because they aren’t “popular,” or the way someone wants them to be. I’ve got longer hair than some guys, so instantly that makes me a pot smoking drop out or a bad kid in the wrong group. I’d bet some kids in my school actually think that, and partly it’s not their fault. It’s what their parents have been shoving down their throats since they were little. And that abides for all kinds of stereotypes, not just the long hair thing.

Before that I was the nerd because I hung out with the smarter, “nerdy” kids, just because of who I hung out with. You can probably see why I try my hardest not to stereotype. I read once that within the first two seconds that you meet a person, or even see them, that you make a stereotype determined by what they look like. Their build, what they wear, that type of stuff. It’s not that hard for me now, and I’m not quite sure why. But I still see some kids who get weird looks, or aren’t talked to, and I try to hang with them some, to give them a bit of confidence and self esteem. And, if only people would throw aside their prejudice and stereotype, they could see some of us are actually pretty cool kids.

I know this would be a bit of a big step for my High School class, much more the world, but I just wish that all of the labeling would go away. If I’ve learned anything in this life, I know you shouldn’t label anyone. We’re all equal. No-one’s better than anyone else. Some one said to me once that, “We just have to do our own thing and live out our own lives, hoping others will follow the example. We have to be as influential as we can and be our own person, not only for our sake, but for the sake of others.” – Anonymous. I like to listen to music when I want to get away from things, and it helps me become a calmer person. It helps me understand things otherwise I wouldn’t even think about.

You should listen to your own music. Take a good listen to the lyrics of your favorite songs. Even if you don’t know who you are yet, you can find that out through the words of the music.