Family Vs. Friends

Max - Plymouth, Minnesota

This I Believe: Family Time/Friends

During my entire life, I have been surrounded by loving family and friends who have shaped me into the person that I am today. I believe that both of them are key components to how a person turns out later in life. Many people value family over friends, or friends over family, but I believe that they are both needed in order for real happiness.

As a child growing up, the people in your family are your role models. If you are a boy, you want to base everything you do off of your father and if you are a girl, you want to base everything you do off of your mother. That is important because having too older role models you can rely on is necessary in shaping a person. I am not saying that if you don’t have that you wont be a good person or anything of the sort, but I know that deep down, they would want a motherly or fatherly figure in their life. Family are also irreplaceable by friends because no matter what you do, they will always love you and have a special place for you in their heart. As great as friends are, they wont necessarily have that for you and if they do, it is not the same.

Friends are just as important as family in their own way. They are the people that you can tell everything to and they will listen. You can tell things to family as well, but it may feel awkward or not right. With good friends, you can tell them anything without being judged.

If you do poorly on a test or had a terrible day, they will take your mind off of it. If you just go out with them for the night or hang out with them for a little while, you will forget about whatever else is going wrong in your life. They are a diversion for stress. I believe that time with friends is just as vital as it is spending time with anybody else.

In life, many different situations occur that call for different people to stand by your side. I believe that having both friends and family always there for you is the most important thing in having a successful and happy life. If you don’t it will be a lot harder getting through certain situations. This I believe is important and that you should value both of them.