the power to keep going

josh - hot springs, Arkansas

The Power to Keep Going.

“Dive, pull, pull, breathe, pull, pull” this is how every race starts out for me. From the sound of the buzzer to the moment my hand returns to where it started, I only have one goal and that goal is to be stronger and faster than my opponent. I got into swimming about three years ago, and I have seen the strong be passed be the lesser, by using sill power and determination.

When someone bets money on a boxing match, they take many variables into account. These variables include weight, height, and experience. It is the responsibility of the gambler to assess those variables and places their money on the athlete, more likely to win. When I first started swimming I was the boxer picked to lose. I did not fit the mold for a typical swimmer. I was 6.0, 210 pounds and had zero swimming experience. I looked around at all the other swimmers like, Michael Phelps, and Ian Crocker, and never thought I could be like them. At this point in time I had never really talked to my couch except in practice. One day she saw me struggling, and she pulled me off to the side and asked me what was wrong. I told her that I had for a whole month every day and I had shown almost zero improvement. I told her I see everyone gliding through the water. She told me that I was more of a shark then a swan. She added that if I wanted to be better, I would have to want it more than anything else. I gave her my word that I would.

For the next 6, months, I swam 5 days a week. I would stay after practice and come early to get extra help, I ended up at the top of the team and went to state swimming the freestyle stroke. I passed most of the people in my guaranteeing me my own medal.

I have stayed with swimming and am now on my third year. Now I am the boxer that people bet on to win. I started at the bottom and worked my way up, passing people that had been swimming for many years. I was determined and I wanted it more.