Be selfish

Ashley - Westland, Michigan

Be selfish

I believe in thinking of you. It’s okay to be selfish sometimes. Just ask any flight attendant, they have these words memorized. “Please be sure to adjust your own oxygen mask before assisting others.” It applies to all things, great and small. From sticking to the odd ball out decision to giving yourself a simple five minutes to get away. Sure there are those people out there who consider this much more than others, but many more who forget this matter all together.

We often forget about ourselves, so wrapped up in our day to day life. With school to study, friends to keep connected, children to motivate, and working to support them, what happens to you in this whole cycle of life? Do you really just expect to go around and have people respecting you for who you are and all you do? Not in this world. Sometimes you need to just slow down for a minute in your crazy world, and realize how much you have accomplished. Go ahead and indulge yourself for a day. Go to the spa, take a little vacation, or just take the day off. Maybe not everyone will appreciate all you have given up, but just knowing yourself and being proud, makes all the difference.

Some people could look at this thinking as self-absorbed. It’s not about being all focused on you. I’m not asking you to put yourself first for everything, all the time, everyday, but just don’t forget about you all together. You can’t lose your opinions, your feelings, and your spirit. If you forget these things completely, how are you, you any longer? However, be sure not to take it too far. Many people out there are the opposite and only think of themselves. I’m sure it has happened to all of us one time or another, where we thought about ourselves first, but you can’t do this all the time. You will end up just like your thinking, alone.

Are you thinking of everyone else, or just you? It’s a tough thing to balance. Not many have this down, and if you do, you’re lucky. So just take a minute to check your oxygen mask. It’s not bad to be selfish sometimes and think of you, after all if you don’t, who will? I believe in thinking of you.