Never Give Up

Josh - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I am a firm believer in the age old saying “Never Give Up.” In today’s society, we are taught to simply give up if we don’t like doing something, we aren’t good at it, or we’re just having a hard time. My parents have always told me since I was young, “Never Never Never Never give up!” Unfortunately, I haven’t always followed their advice.

I’ve made a few mistakes in my life that involve quitting that I desperately regret. For example, when I was just six years old, I played baseball at the Hot Springs Boys and Girls Club. I joined the team thinking that I would be the best and soon learned otherwise. Pretty soon I was watching entire games from the dugout. I got so mad and upset that I quit. Even now I think about what I wasted opportunity that was to have fun and just enjoy being a kid.

Another example came many years later. When I was in 9th grade, I signed up for college prep science. I knew I would need to take this advanced science class if I would fulfill my lifelong dream of being a doctor. After just one week in the class, I failed a test. Instead of toughing it out and working harder, I quit and went to and easier class. Since then, I deeply regret this decision.

Both of these times in my life when I have chosen to quit have turned out for the worst. I’ve learned that no matter how bad something is, it’s never worth quitting. Even now as I take Pre- AP English 11, I think how easy it would be to quit. But then I realize that quitting is simply never an option.

My parents always try to tell me that if I’m going to do something, I might as well do it to the best of my ability. This absolutely rules out quitting. So lately I’ve been encouraging my friends and family not to make the same mistakes I did and press forward when times and hard, and remember to never give up.