Judgements

Lauren - Hot Springs, Arkansas

A couple of years ago a girl said to me, “I just want you to know that no one in my grade likes you.” When I asked her why she thought that she said, “Because they think you’re snobby.” I was stunned that people thought I was a snob when I’m really a very shy person. I just didn’t understand how someone could label me as that type of person. I got to thinking about it, and I realized people might think I’m snobby because I don’t talk a lot.

Ever since I was little I’ve always been really shy. I remember trembling behind my mom’s leg in the mall when she talked to someone I didn’t know. I’ve come out of my shell a lot since then, but I know people still think I’m shy. Only my family and friends know the real me. I can’t blame people for thinking I’m shy because in some ways I still am.

I don’t put myself out there and introduce myself to new people, and I don’t like getting out of my comfort zone. I also hate giving speeches or anything that forces me to get in front of a large group of people. Many people think that’s weird because I’m a Goldduster and I have to dance in front of huge crowds of people at pep rallies and football and basketball games. I do it because it helps me to get rid of some of my shyness, and it forces me out of my comfort zone. I couldn’t stand that that girl I didn’t even like had told me that no one liked me, but in a way I’m glad she did because now I try to not be so shy.

I have been guilty of judging people at one point or another. Since people have reasons for acting the way they do, I know I shouldn’t judge them because I don’t know what all they have been through in their past. Just because they don’t talk a lot doesn’t mean they’re snobby, or just because they are a cheerleader doesn’t mean they are preppy. Jocks aren’t always stupid, and people who wear black all the time aren’t always mad at the world, and rich people aren’t always stuck up.

Instead of judging someone, I believe everyone should stop and focus on what’s inside. In the past when I have been judged I try to do everything I can to prove people wrong, and to let them see my true personality. I’m thankful the girl told me how others perceived me, now I’m able to improve myself and show people the kind of person I really am.