Never Settle

Cambell - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem

“If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you you’ll be unhappy the rest of your life.” This is a statement I can relate with a lot. To me, life is a gift, and we should all use that gift to do whatever we dream of. I have learned and now believe from personal experience that we only get one life to live, and if I settle for something that isn’t what I truly want, then I can honestly never be happy. It is absolutely aggravating to think that I should be forced to settle for something I hate! I can’t even fathom the thought of waking up, going to work, coming home, doing housework, going to sleep, and then waking up and doing it all over again all leading up to death. This is just not a life. If we have dreams, then isn’t it worth pursuing them? Why let a dream go wasted?

Now that I am going through my last years of high school, it is really starting to set in that I will be on my own soon. I will be leaving the nest and having to find my own path. I’ll have to start pursing a career, and that is where my dreams lie, in my profession. Most people want to be a doctor, a lawyer, a dentist, or some other nine to five. I think I would probably die if that were how I ended up using my gift! If I could do something and feel like I am taking advantage of the life I was given, it would be producing music. Writing it, making it, singing it (if I had the voice, my voice cracks at just about every high note), working in the industry that I have come to love. If I ended up in a suit walking into an office to sit for eight hours a day, every day, I would feel like I am settling, and that’s not taking advantage of my gift.

All my life I have wanted this. I think my love for music is an innate quality I have. I used to go on my fireplace and sing songs, and my mom would film me. My mom was the music video director and I was the musician. We have hours and hours of footage; we have an entire shelf dedicated to all of our home movies. They are piled on top of one another because even though the shelf is large it still isn’t big enough to fit them all comfortably. Anything they wanted me to sing I would belt it out like I was a huge superstar who had been doing it for years, my hand has my microphone and my family as my audience. My mom was a big fan of Christmas carols, she would always ask for “Jingle Bells”. I would even just bust out a number in front of people I didn’t even know that always turned my brother’s face into the color of a tomato. I remember him complaining because all I did was sing. As I got older, I was always listening to music. In my room I constantly had music playing form my boom box and that really hasn’t changed. However, my boom box is now a stereo and my taste has grown out of N’SYNC, Brittany Spears, and Backstreet Boys, into a Paramore, Panic! at the Disco, and Fall Out Boy fan. It was actually at a Fall Out Boy concert where I realized that music is something I am really passionate about, I mean I always knew I loved it but it really came alive at this particular concert. I was listening to them perform and was just in awe! I was watching the singer and wishing on anything that I could sing like he did. His voice was like velvet and it look like he put no effort in getting that beautiful sound out. Then, I looked over at the guitarist and bass player and wanting anything to be able to play like them their fingers moved with confidence I had never seen. Finally, the drummer and just dreaming about that being me keeping the entire band together. Or at least having something to do with that sound, even if it was just producing it.

Now that I am older I have realized that I might just have a knack for this industry. All my favorite songs, I know every word. Even if I have never heard the song before. I can tell you the artist; I’m right almost every time. I think my skills have grown from not only knowing the artist but now paying attention to the actual instrument used. I can keep the beat in a song. I am nowhere near perfect, but I am decent. I would also like to think I can tell if a song is going to be popular or not or whatever a new artist is going to be a mega stars. After hearing a new voice I usually tell my friends ” Oh this person has It.” or maybe ” This singer is going nowhere.” I try not to be biased based on my personal taste but that of course does have some influence. Some would say these talents are useless and have no value to me. But I believe these qualities will be a huge help in me becoming a producer.

” So Cambell what are you thinking of doing with the rest of your life?” That question always brings sweat to my face and puts an unmanageable knot in my stomach. I feel nervous and anxious every time that question comes out my parent’s mouths. The reason for all my stress is because I am having a hard time telling them my aspirations. I know it will be hard for them to except that I don’t want what they have, which is basically a desk job, my nightmare. I believe what they have works for them and what I want will work for me. Just like the quote from Abraham Moslow stated above, if I don’t do what I am passionate about, then I would be unhappy for the rest of my life. That’s a long time to be unhappy. Love what you do, do what you love.