Cure for the Inferior

Jesse - Rexburg, Idaho

Judgments are key to break down others and to bring feelings of inferiority into their veins. Kindness is the only vaccination that can prevent someone else to be shut out of the society in which they live. In today’s world there are many cruel things I see with no universal cure. Instead, I infect others with the kindness of my family with the hope it will become an epidemic of becoming.

It is a simple gesture of kindness that can lift my day to heights that I could not see above the impermeable sky. I now lend a latter for others to join me above the dark clouds by saying simple phrases that please the human soul. I send smiles to those who seem down and lift them up with encouragement. My life’s philosophy is true happiness.

The beginning of my freshman year of high school I thought I was going to die a freshman. Not because of the booze, casual grotesque language, or who got freaky with each other, but the ways I was treated as an outcast. I had false rumors spread about me that I was a homosexual purely based on first impression. Apparently I didn’t know my own sexuality based upon my looks and how I acted. How dumb were they I thought? Instead of lashing out in anger or frustration, I would simply let the stones go right through me.

As people began to see the kindness in my gregarious character, they stopped the persecution at the end of the year. It was through my simple kindness in four years of high school that I accumulated different kinds of friends and I belonged to none of the cliques. I became the prom king not out of popularity, but through the respect and kindness I had in my relationships with others. People would say they had never heard me go binge drink at a party, get laid or beat the pulp out of someone. If someone had problems with me then I would talk it out with them. It was the respect and kindness I had for my enemies that bloomed forth friendship.

Here at school when I get lonely, angry, or flustered over a dumb quarrel with someone, then I turn to my father’s note that he sent me three weeks ago. In this note he sends words of praise to me of how great I am and who I have become. He said my essay for English class was the best writing he had ever seen me do! Most importantly love was in the small four-sentence message. It’s especially through weaknesses where I can acknowledge kindness from others and become friends with them. With my enemies, it is the same way. I complement them for their best efforts despite their weakness or for something they did not see in themselves. Any great friendship I have has a stable foundation of kindness. This I do believe.