Natural Motives

Will - Wayzata, Minnesota

I believe that above all other motives, and influences, natural basic instincts are at the cause for everything we do, and more so our only reason for being on this planet. Nature’s basic influences are to stay alive, and to keep your own species alive, and well. All other instincts are derived from these. I believe that the more we try and fight these instincts, the more we widen the gap between nature and ourselves.

Insects are the most notable living creatures in touch with these instincts. For instance, a honeybee’s goals in life are to further their nest by gathering pollen, and to defend their own species from predators. Even when they go to die, they go off alone into the solitude of their own habitats and pass away alone. They do this as though if their goals are complete and therefore their lives are complete.

Human intuition is the same as the honeybees, and also every other living creature in nature. Our societal instinct is to get married and have kids, but this is just a form of furthering our species. Us humans mainly see this need to procreate as an object of our self-created societal standards, but in essence is just our instincts to keep our species alive. Whatever we do, or say, even though it is seemingly chosen of free will, is created and affected by our natural-born instincts. This goes even as far down as our natural fear of change.

Change to humans is always seen as bad, the Internet, fashion, television, cars, new Facebook… anything that is different to us we inherently don’t like. We assume that everything new is a product of evil and is trying to tear apart our country’s morals or freedoms. In The Allegory of the Cave human’s basic instincts towards foreign thoughts or objects are shown to be hostile. Our first thoughts are to destroy the alien item, or if we can’t destroy it at least avoid it. Just like how the cave people killed the informed outsider, we kill, or try and kill, new things that are different.

All of these instincts, I believe, cause us to act the way we do. While they aren’t as prevalent in some of us as they are in others, they are still the underlying cause behind our words, and our actions. Without this natural way of thinking I doubt whether our species would still exist on this planet. These natural instincts are what we live for, and they are what keep us alive.