Happiest Happy Birthday

Lauren - Rexburg, Idaho

Happiest Happy Birthday

Pastel colored streamers and glimmering gift wrap along with sweet candy and coned shaped hats are just a few of the delights that make up a birthday party. I’ve loved birthdays since I can remember and I always will. The excitement of the day can’t be beat and there is nothing better then a celebration and a chance to cram cake and not get in trouble. You also get to be with all the friends you love. The day is always filled with adolescent games and a reason to act like a kid. The joy that a birthday in tales can never be forgotten or simulated.

It was on a brisk fall Friday at the beginning of the new school year and the atmosphere was just happy. I was cruising with my friend to Alison’s birthday Party! Alison was a girl in my church who was a little less social but I could care less, I was ready to have fun, eat cake, and play games. My friend and I skipped our way to the picnic tables across the parking lot to join in the festivities of Alison’s bash. As we approached the tables I noticed that the party was lacking in all the items that make up a birthday. I did not see one balloon or roll of crepe paper. We also noticed that we were the only friends there other then her family. My heart sunk in knowing that no one showed up but us. All I could think to myself was how she must feel knowing that her other friends did not come to share in her birthday party.

Although all the tangible amenities that pull a party together were missing we still had a blast getting to know Alison‘s family and be together. All of my childhood memories and love for birthdays were absent at this party but Alison’s birthday turned out to be the happiest happy birthday. Parties don’t have to include crowds of people or festive paper products to make it memorable. Birthdays are an excuse to get together with those you know and appreciate. it’s a time to be charitable and loving in a way that’s part of our human nature rather then being something you have to do. I discovered that the population and visual perks of a party mean nothing; it’s the chance to show others you care and practice being charitable, not seeming charitable.

The balloons and streamers are just a way to visually excel a party but it’s the genuine love for each other that makes a birthday and being together great and happy. It’s the connection of one heart to another and the feelings we get when we willingly spend time around others.