This I Believe: The Haircut Lesson

Shannon - West Jordan, Utah

I believe in having confidence. The time of life when a person has the most confidence is before the age of five, before she enters school and begins comparing herself with others. As a child, I remember being happy and content, secure in myself and my parents’ love for me. As I grew older, thought, my self-confidence slowly diminished, and I became unsure about my appearance. When I was 14, it was popular the have layered hair. My 16-year-old sister, who had aspirations of becoming a cosmetologist, said she could easily layer my hair. So while Mom was out one day, we got to work. After about an hour, I looked in the mirror and cried, “I look like a dog!” My hair now resembled rough, floppy ears dangling to my shoulders. It wasn’t long after that that I learned an important lesson. It doesn’t matter so much how you look as how you see yourself.

In the musical The King and I, Anna sings to her son, “Make believe you’re brave, and the trick will take you far. You may be as brave as you make believe you are.´ I began to apply this principle to my self-image. I started with my dog hair cut and found different ways of doing it. Each time it might have seemed too different, I just thought to myself, “Wear it with confidence, and no one will question.” By simply believing that something is true, it soon becomes so. I believe that as we learn to create our own confidence, we will grow to be very powerful individuals, free from judgments and uncertainties.