Stefanie - Minnetonka, Minnesota

There is no easy way to define a hero. Although everybody has at least one person in their life that they can call their hero, when you look deeper, you can see that a hero may consist of many different characteristics. When I looked up the definition of a hero in an online dictionary, it stated a “hero is a typical man who is admired or looked upon for courage, some type of achievement or noble qualities.” Although I agree with some of the characteristics that the dictionary described a hero as, I think a hero should possess courage, ability, stamina, and flexibility.

Not only is a hero somebody that saves your life, but somebody that improves your life and saves you from danger. I believe a person can have a hero that they have never even met before, but they idealize for doing something. For example if a person has made some type of outstanding achievement in the world. It may be a producer who has just created an extremely moving movie or somebody who donated a lot of money to your favorite organization.

In my life I have thought of many people to be heroes. Some of them I know, and some of them are people that I have researched, learned about in school, or heard about on TV.

I believe heroes are important to have in a person’s life, because it gives you something to look up to. I believe it is critical to have heroes in my personal life, because heroes are good people that set positive examples for me. My heroes are people that I will always remember. As I grow up and mature I will always remember the people that have been heroes throughout my life and I will want to live up to what they have done, therefore they are teaching me good values and ways of being as I grow up.

One of my heroes that I have always looked up to is Oprah. Oprah grew up as a very poor child and through TV shows and her magazine has become extremely famous and wealthy. Oprah is very different from other celebrities, because she knows how to handle her fame. Instead of using her fame and fortune solely for excessive houses, many cars, and diamonds, she donates millions of dollars every year to charity. Whether it is her school she started in Africa or giving cars out to audience members, she is constantly thinking of others. This is something that I admire in her and hope to live up to one day. I hope that as I get a job and grow older, that I will be able to give to charity, too. I believe that it is important to give back to the world, especially since I am fortunate enough to have a house, a loving family, and an extremely good education.

Heroism is an important part of our world. Everybody has their own heroes that they desire to live up to. If nobody had any heroes, I believe that we would lose motivation. We would not have anything to live up to, nobody to set examples for us, or nobody to show us the path to follow.