Courtney - Hot Springs, Arkansas

When I was a child being brought up, in certain situations certain thoughts would cross my mind. When I was taught to ride a bike, I would get onto the bike and I would wonder “ what if I fall off”? One can’t possibly learn to ride a bike if you are thinking of all the ways you can fall off. The same goes for life in general, you can’t possibly succeed in life if you are thinking of all the ways you can fail.

Being a teenager, this applies to me every day, in athletics and academically. In basketball practice, my coach always says “when you shoot the ball see the ball going into the basket because you can’t make the shot if you’re thinking about missing. The same goes for track and field, when you are running, imagine yourself crossing the finish line first, not last, to think anything less than is unwise. A wise man once said “A mind troubled by doubt cannot focus on the course to victory.”

My father always told me confidence is the key to succeeding in everything you do. The more confident I am in myself, the more successful I will become. Self-confidence is extremely important in almost every aspect of my life, yet so many people struggle to find it. Sadly, this can be a vicious circle: People who lack self-confidence can find it difficult to become successful. A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her. It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not. The good news is that self-confidence can be learned and built on.

Discovering my true talents was far more rewarding than any amount of money or fame. The saying “ If you think you can or think you can’t you’re right” is so very true. Keeping a positive always drives me to my success. Successes cone to those who go out and look for it. There are two types of people in the world: those who make things happen for themselves, and those who watch people make things happen. I have always been a firm believer of success comes to the people who want it more.

When I got on the bike as a child, I was determined to learn how to ride that bike and now I can.