Zach - Hot Springs, Arkansas

My mother always says, “When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.” This saying has been engraved into my brain after my mother shouts it at me, daily. But even though I absolutely hate when she spouts that out, it has come to help me.

Such a time that I have used that saying to my benefit was in my favorite sport, wrestling. And when I mean wrestling, I mean the real kind, not the crap sold on Pay Per View.

In the sport of wrestling there are classes. These classes are chosen by weight and age. While I was in wrestling, I was placed in one of the larger weight division with kids of my age. I was embarrassed to be in those divisions because my friends were the same weight and age class, while I was stuck alone.

I continued to wrestle with other kids in my classes, but I was different. My body shape and size had given me a better ability of leverage and force. Practice after practice, I worked on utilizing my size and weight to beat my opponents. After weeks upon weeks of practice, it was time to start the regular season.

At the wrestling tournaments, I began using my own unique characteristics that I had practiced on, and it worked. In that season while using my new techniques I had been placed at the top of the leader boards and won every tournament I traveled to, eventually going to state. For wrestling, I had made “lemonade” with what life had given to me.

Like the saying says, if you are given an innate gift, talent, or even an event, and you make the most out of it, you will be rewarded greatly. But “lemons” aren’t the only ingredient needed for “lemonade”; you also need determination, self-respect, and a drive for success. These ingredients all together will get you great rewards and a great life.