Being a Baseball Player Helps

Tyler - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Being a Baseball Player Helps

It was one of those moments when I just felt inferior to everybody else and I just didn’t belong. That was how I felt when I joined the 13- year- old baseball team. The reason? I was only 12 -year -old and very frightened to join, but my dad made the choice that I should join because in his mind I was just as good as the 13- year olds. I didn’t agree, but I trusted him and decided to join the team. To go along with my age, I also had another disadvantage: being small. This terrified me because almost every guy on the team was at least 8 inches taller than me. My dad attempted to make me feel better by using one his quotes: “It is not the size of the man, but the size of his heart that matters.” I thought it was a pretty corny quote, but I pretended like the quote comforted me and moved on. My first baseball game rolled around and guess where I was? On the bench; exactly where I expected myself to be. I was furious with my dad because I realized that this was how it was going to be for the rest of the year. How was I supposed to get any better if I just sat on the bench the whole time?

After every baseball game, my dad and I always had a talk about the game whether it was good or bad. “What was there to talk about after this game?,” I thought. Of course my dad knew exactly what he was going to talk about. As I hopped in the car, I saw the disappointment on my dads face. “Son, do you realize the true meaning of the quote I told you a couple of days ago?” I knew exactly where he was headed with this. “It means that just because you are smaller or less talented than everybody else, doesn’t mean that you can’t be playing on the field with them. You have to have a lot bigger heart than everybody else and work harder than anybody else out there. You have to have the determination to go out on the baseball field as a starter every single game.” From that moment on, my dads corny quote became a part of my life. At practice, I would hustle on and off the field and work twice as hard as everybody else. I was determined to be the best baseball player I could be. The awesome thing about it was when I applied it to my school work; my grades began to soar tremendously.

The second game was here. Like always, I was shaking to see the line-up. The coach posted it, and my heart paused. I was extremely nervous to see of my hard work would pay off. As I walked closer to the line-up, I saw the name I was looking for. I was starting! I was so proud! As I trotted out to my position in left field, I saw my dad looking at me with a very proud smile. He knew his quote was the reason I was there. As I began getting older, the young age and the small size kept causing trouble in my life. I kept this quote stored in my mind and never forgot it. In everything I did, I gave a 100% plus more. The corny quote that my dad told me has made me who I am today. I will continue applying this quote to my everyday life, and hopefully my success will continue.