Live, LAUGH, Love

Regan - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Live, LAUGH, Love

How do you want to die: LOL? Ironically, this is also what helps keep me alive. After being in many uncomfortable situations in my life, I have found that no matter what the situation, if you laugh along the way, you can make it through anything.

When I was young, I went to a very bad public school. There was an older girl who enjoyed bullying me and making fun of me. I never lashed back at her or told anyone what was taking place. I just continued to try to be nice to her. After some time and many attempts to win her over with laughter and love, we became friends instead of enemies.

Can you imagine starting the fourth grade in a town 700 miles from home and not knowing a single person? I remember that first day like it was yesterday. My dad had moved us to Texas, for a better job. Only one girl would talk to me. We had a lot in common, and we would constantly laugh out loud like we were the only kids at school. Eventually, people were drawn to our goofiness; we made an abundance of new friends.

This brings to mind the old phrase: Laugh and the world laughs with you: weep and you weep alone. There are times to be serious and there are times to be silly. I have learned that whenever life throws you a curve ball. It helps in these situations to find a way to laugh. After all, if we’re not in control of our happiness and attitudes, then who is? Humor about oneself can be useful. This is one of my favorite things to do, make fun of myself. The best part of laughter is that you really don’t need any “reason” to laugh…just start! Most of the time when I am uncontrollably laughing with my friends, we can’t remember what started it.