Changed My Life

Jonathan - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Changed My Life

There is always one person who will change your life forever. I met this person in kindergarten. Now he wasn’t the smartest or most popular because he was mentally handicapped, but this didn’t stop him from expressing his personality.

When we first met, he was in my classroom in kindergarten. The teacher, that day, had asked if she could have a special helper to do something for her ever day. Of course, I threw my hands up instantly such as all the other kids did to get the special job. Now I thought it was just going to be one of those “always get the supplies out for the class every day,” type of deal. No. Actually, it was to walk this young man to his resource class every day. Well, by my surprise, the teacher had picked me.

At first, I didn’t know how to handle the situation. I was only five years of age, and had to handle a big job like this…it kind of made me feel proud. One day though, I was walking the boy to his resource class, and when I got to the door it was locked and the lights were turned off. So I checked the other door to see if it was open and it, too, was also locked. The day was almost over, so we just sat down and started having a conversation together. At first I thought “O great, here we go.” But he was a good person to talk to. I would listen to him, even though half the times his stories didn’t make any sense, but they fun to listen too, and he would listen to me. I enjoyed talking to him so much that every day I would take him to his resource class a little bit late because we would have been having a conversation. When I would finally take him to his class, I would tell the teacher that traffic had been horrible, but she knew what we were doing . One day she had gone looking for him and had seen that we were outside sitting around talking, and she thought it was good for both of us.

That was the only year I had to help him to his resource class, but I enjoyed talking with him every day. I was his only friend, and he became one of mine. Years went by, and I finally saw him again, and he knew right away who I was. That has been one of my favorite days so far.

Help can be found in the most mysterious or places. Before I met this young man, I was a terribly angry child. But it seemed to me that once I met this person, all of my anger slipped away from me and that empty whole in my heart where anger had been stored was gone and filled up in place by the sweet nature of my friend. Every day I thought that I was helping that boy get to his resource class and me being his friend, but instead he was helping me. Because of him, I now have a helpful and compassionate side to me.

I haven’t seen him in a long time, but will forever hold that place in my heart for him when he helped me. He helped me in so may ways, and I owe him an eternity for that.