Through The Hard Times

Alexandria - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Through The Hard Times

I never knew what it was like to have the “normal family” while growing up. All my friend’s parents were happily married, and their lives were what seemed like perfect. My parents divorced when I was about four months old. At that point it was just us three girls: my mom, my sister, and me. I went fifteen years without having a fatherly figure in the house. But we stayed strong. It was all the hard times that led me to see the good in life now.

I’ve always looked up to my mom. She’s my hero, and one day I’d love to be her replica. She’s a strong, intelligent woman that’s been through it all. My mother raised two kids while going to nursing school (more than once) to get all her degrees, and also worked full time. That’s where my grandparents played a huge role in our lives. My sister, Victoria, and I were very independent at young ages. Some days we went from making our own lunches for school to cooking our own dinner at night when we were just children. We didn’t complain because we knew our mother had her hands full. But we stayed strong.

Then, there was the bumpy road that held my mom and her relationships. I didn’t like to share to her. She was mine and mine only! I had to overcome that, knowing I wouldn’t want my mom to be lonely the rest of her life. She would go on dates here and there and sometimes have a steady relationship. But no matter who she was involved with, her kids always came first.

I never had the opportunity, unlike my sister, to grow up around my father; therefore, I hated going to visit him. He tried his hardest to be everything he could be, but I never really gave him a chance. He had moved on and gotten married. I never thought it was fair that he had found the one he loved, but my mother had not. Through all that time I still wondered what it was like to have a father in the house, somebody to run to when I had boy problems (which happened A LOT), or maybe just somebody else to ask when mom said no. Unfortunately, for fifteen years I had to live without that. But like I said… I stayed strong.

My mom has now been married for two years to my stepdad, Keith. She’s graduated school and now has her masters degree in nursing as a nurse practitioner. Since I’m a lot older and more mature, I’ve become closer with my dad. I now have a “normal family,” and I could not ask for a better one. I thank God for the path he gave me that has made me the young lady I am today and for the family he has blessed me with.

It was hard for us, and it would be hard for anybody else, too. People have to push through the hard times to be able to witness the good things life has in store for them. And that’s exactly what my mother, my sister, and I have done. Once again… we stayed strong.