The Essential Element

Cynthia - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: love

The Essential Element

It is a universal truth that every human being has a driving desire to be loved. I don’t have but perhaps fourteen years of experiences with love, but I can have my say nonetheless. I know that love is imperative to human existence, and I know that without it, the human person cannot thrive.

My mother told me recently about the importance of human touch. We were driving in the car on the freeway above Central Avenue, where the lights from Cornerstone and Outback light up the on-ramp to the freeway. She tells me constantly about how good we were as children, and it seems to be her mission to load my arsenal of knowledge with information on how to cook and how to raise children. She told me that babies need to be loved constantly through physical touch, by bouncing them, talking to them, kissing and hugging them. Constant love is so imperative to be able to thrive in our society.

I try to imagine a day without physical touch; in fact, I tried it only two days ago. By second period I was so irritable I wanted to kick something and scream. Thankfully, that day was a good day, and people cracked jokes all day so my attitude improved immensely by lunchtime. But without human touch, I’m sure I would lose my entire cheery disposition to depression and irritableness.

Love is imperative to human happiness in life and is a powerful force in our hands if we use it. I guess the hippy ideal has a good point: love can change the world. If we forget our differences, do away with prejudice, esteem ourselves as equals and turn to love, the world would change radically for the better. All we have to do is start.