Working Hard Till the End

Ryan - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Working Hard Till the End

Every morning at five twenty my alarm sounds. I lay in my bed awoken by another alarm that goes off at five twenty three. Then, I roll out of bed and stumble into the bathroom. Here, I throw cold water on my face and insert my contact lenses into my eyes. After that, I make my way back to my room where I throw on a pair of shorts, a shirt, and some tennis shoes. My real challenge begins.

I meet two of my friends, Art and Carlos, at the North Mountain for a morning run. The three point seven mile conquest over the brutally steep and winding mountain begins. After forty five minutes of non-stop, hard breathing running, we make a full circle and arrive where we started: the bottom of the mountain. Carlos, Art, and I have all dedicated ourselves to running each and every morning.

I then spend the next seven hours at school. I go from challenging myself physically to challenging myself mentally. After my day at school, I depart for the YMCA. Depending on what day it is, I will either work arms, legs, or cardio. After a two-hour weight lifting period, I head to the baseball field where I either long toss or hit. I follow up on long tossing of hitting with a fifteen-to-twenty minute period of intense arm stretches. Once the physical activity is over, I head home and settle down to start studying.

I consider this “All in a day’s work.” I base my life on a quote by Ray Bradbury, “I know you’ve heard it a thousand times before. But its true- hard work pays off. If you want to be good, you have to practice, practice, practice. If you don’t love something, then don’t do it.” This quote basically refers to work ethics and how I push myself to succeed.

When I was younger, I remember how my dad and I would always argue over something about baseball. On one summer day, I was schedule to run and long toss with him. Instead of meeting him at the field to do these things, I decided to stay in bed and sleep. I guess he got tired of waiting on me because I was awaken by a phone call. It was my dad calling! I instinctively answered the phone with a “hello” and a slight hint of sleepiness in my voice. He asked, “Where are you?” I told him the truth: “I’m in bed sleeping. I didn’t feel like getting up.” He replied, “We’ll talk when I get home.” After that talk, I changed my views of my work ethics, as well as the way I worked. Also, now that I’m older, I realize that changing my work ethics were for the best.

I want to be the best I can be at anything, but most importantly at baseball. Therefore, I work as hard as I can at getting better at baseball. All the physical activities I do benefit my baseball ability. When I learn new things, I practice them until I’m near perfect at them. I take this same attitude into school. I know that it is not easy to succeed in life and that my chances of playing professional baseball are slim to none, so I take my school work seriously, too. It’s important to me to have good grades; therefore, I study very hard and pay attention.

It’s my understanding that no one is perfect. I know this from first hand experiences. But it’s to my knowledge that if I work hard enough at something, I can become perfect at it. This is why I believe that working hard is one of the most important aspects of life. Also, I believe that if I work had at something and I don’t get the results I wanted, I never give up.

Work ethics teach me a great deal of discipline, too. My work ethics can keep me out of trouble by occupying my time. I believe hard workers are the people with the most respect.

In life, there are tough obstacles to overcome, so that’s why I carry my work ethics with me everywhere I go. I always think of the positive things that con come out of a tough situation. If things don’t go my way at first, I never give up trying to get where I want to be. Also, I never let other people affect my decisions in life or my work ethics.

My work ethics will someday get me where I want to be in life.