Just Listen

Trey - Hot Springs, Arkansas

“You will thank me later on in life for what I’m doing now” is something my father has told me countless times in the past and still today. Do you believe that some of the things your parents tell you to do while you’re growing up will actually help you later on in life and make you a different person when you’re an adult? As we grow up and mature, we tend to separate ourselves and do our own thing. We become more independent and try to set our own ways. I have realized after all the mistakes I have made that listening to my parents is really the only path to go in life.

It was the first week of summer which meant one thing: there was no school and it was time for me to have some fun. As night approached on that warm June day, my dad arrived home a little early from work. I still to this day never forgot him telling me that now that I was out of school, I needed to stay safe tonight and every other night which meant I didn’t need to be away from home past 11:30 at night. This was for my own safety he stated, I clenched my fist and frowned while the words came out of his mouth. He continued to talk but I couldn’t hear him because there was no other way around it, I was mad! The fact that I couldn’t just stay out later like some of my friends seemed unfair.

I left my house later that night and went to a friend’s house, but when it was time for me to be home, I decided to stay a little longer. When I finally did make it home, the turn of the key to open the door to my house seemed everlasting and echoed throughout the house. The clock above the stove read 12:30, and everyone appeared to already be asleep…appeared to be, but deep down I just knew somebody heard me come in that night. “Am I making too much noise?” I thought to myself. Either way, I was scared, and I felt terrible about everything.

The next morning I awoke to find my truck gone and an empty house. All I could do is sit and wait…worried in a state of panic not knowing if I was in trouble or not. My dad arrived home before I could finish my thoughts, and he made me nervous mostly because he is not really the type of person to sit down and talk things out. For some reason this time was different; he didn’t look mad at all, just sad and disappointed in me. He looked into my eyes and told me that 11:30 wasn’t just his rule for curfew; it was also against the law for someone under the age of 18 to stay out past 11:30. He said he forgave me, but wanted to know if I ever would have told him if he had been asleep the night before. My truck was at my grandfather’s and remained there for about a month. I wasn’t mad because I had nobody to blame but myself.