Happily Ever After

Jessica - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: love

A Happily Ever After

“And they all lived happily ever after.” It’s the same saying that we hear in every fairy tale and those cheesy romantic movies or books. The difference with me is that I actually truly believe in happily ever after’s. I did when I was five and I still do to this day, but there’s a difference, I don’t think that happily ever after necessarily coincides with forever any more, even though we all hope it does.

So, picture this, your forever in love and you know that you’re going to marry this person, it’s for sure this time. You adore this person and you know it’s going to be a happily ever after….and your five years old. I was always that little girl chasing the poor boys around the playground, because we were going to get married and live happily ever after. I mean that’s what always happened in the fairy tales, why should the real world be any different? When I was five I had the hugest crush on a little boy who sat next to me in class, his name was Kevin, and I was FOR SURE we were going to get married. I mean who doesn’t think that at that age? I was IN LOVE with him. Loving someone meant forever, right? I learned that sadly that’s not always true. Barbra DeAngelis said, “You never lose by loving, you always lose by holding back.” I’ve tried to live my life like that. Fast-forward about a decade or so and I’m a very different person then I was back then, but I’m still very much the same. Kevin and I obviously grew up and went our separate ways, but I’m still that hopeless romantic that refuses to grow out of hoping for a happily ever after.

I believe in love more then anything. I think it’s the closest thing to a logical explanation of a higher power that we can find on Earth. Imagine that look on a mother and father’s faces as they gaze into the eyes of their child for the first time. There’s nothing else in this world that is more simple, perfect, and binding as love. No matter what you believe in it’s hard to doubt that true love isn’t heaven sent. I doubt we as mere mortals could summon that deep and pure of an emotion, love, on our own.

I still believe in happily ever after’s even though I don’t think that it means forever necessarily. I’ve seen too many relationships fail that I think could have made it, which puts a serious damper on your spirits towards love and such, especially when it’s your own that have failed. But Wait! There’s hope! There are two people who have done what we hopeless romantics dream for, they have defied all odds and make it through the trials of time, growing old, raising a family, and just the plain old struggles of marriage. They are my grandparents. Fifty three years later and they are still together; fighting and loving each other just as much as the day they got hitched.

I believe in a happily ever after that doesn’t mean forever. It can be only a moment, a day, a year, or even an hour. Happily ever after is that moment in your life when you are perfectly and incandescently happy. I hope for a happily ever after that’s forever, but if it’s not then I’m ready to seize that moment and hold it close to my heart.

“And we all lived happily ever after.”