Opening My Mind

Luke - Hot Springs, Arkansas

“Always keep an open mind.” It’s something I’ve always tried to do and a lot of people say it. Though it seems that everyone can say it, being open-minded about everything can be surprisingly difficult. There are certain things that I feel strongly about, and it’s hard to look at them from someone else’s perspective.

Considering that my parents were once missionaries, religion and values were points of inevitable conflict. As a child, I took everything at face value; like most children do, I believed that what my parents said was right. I assumed that what I knew was basically a given and that it was what everyone else knew and believed. That quickly changed when I learned that my parents and I would have to live in my sister’s house.

As it turned out, my sister’s house was technically her boyfriend’s. Shortly before we moved in, my mom happened to mention that “it’s not right” for my sister to live with her boyfriend since she wasn’t married. Why? If my sister felt it was right, why should my mother’s opinion be the only one that’s right? Her opinion was made mainly because of her religious beliefs. The religious aspect of what my mom said made me wonder what made one religion better in comparison to another.

I’ve long since realized that I have to keep myself open to other possibilities. Maybe one religion is better, maybe not. I think the only way I, or anyone else, can ever really know is to be open to anything and everything. I believe that being open-minded is one of the most important things I have to strive for in life, as well as one of the most difficult.