I Will Never Forget

Gabrielle - hot springs, Arkansas
Themes: setbacks

The life given us by nature is short, but the memory of a life well spent is eternal. Have you ever had someone close to you taken from you instantly with just a blink of an eye? In my life, I have had two very special people taken away from me when I least expected it. To this day, I can remember all the experiences we have encountered together, good or bad, boring or exciting, but all with two friends that are dear to my heart and that left me with everlasting memories.

Life is unpredictable and time goes by as fast as light travels, but my memories will be with me forever. Some days a huge cloud of pain and grief will hover over me, and other days I will stare blankly into the world waiting for an answer to my question, “Why?”

From time to time, I catch myself feeling selfish because who am I to say that God can’t have his children home where they can spend eternal life in peace and harmony?

If I make an effort to think about the rough situation with an open mind and a positive attitude, I know that I can rely on my memories of Tasha and Michael to get me through. It’s funny to me how I can just live my life like nothing significant has happened, but I think that’s part of the healing process so I can live my life happily like Tasha and Michael would want me to.

Through my memories of Tasha, I sometimes imagine that she’s still here. It seems so surreal to me that I can hear her laugh echoing in my ear, and I can hear her voice tearing away in my mind as I try to bring her back into my life and make her human again. When I close my eyes, I can see her gleaming that triumphant smile like when she just finished tumbling at a basketball game with much success and school pride. My memories of us at church and praising God will never escape my mind, either. When our youth group sat in a circle and discussed Bible stories and their hidden meanings, I could see Tasha was truly interested in learning more, and she strived to be a better person.

Considering she was only fifteen when she passed away, her life was very short. Sometimes, I cause myself frustration because she was so young, and I don’t fully understand how she was done living her life and had already completed her purpose on Earth. But who am I to underestimate God’s plan even though by nature humans are only curious to know all the small details?

I will never forget.

My memories of Michael are based on his outgoing personality and his infinite charm. He would always make the best of what he had and live his life to the fullest. The decisions he made were based on his satisfaction only because he didn’t care what other people thought of him. I always had a smile on my face and was in a good mood to see him because it was like he had a bright aura that glowed around him and made people feel content and welcome in his presence. His charm made him a very likeable person. He would smile, and it would make any girl want to crumble to the floor in awe.

I can remember us at Play-By-Play climbing through the mazes and playing the machine games, competing to see who could get more tickets. As his machine went off saying, “WINNER!” I can picture the crooked smile on his face rubbing it in as I lost another game. Still, I didn’t care because I was having a good time just hanging out with my friend. I believe that he was put in my life to teach me to always play the deck of cards I’m handed, and play them well.

In addition to Tasha, Michael’s life on Earth was also shorter than I would have ever imagined. He was only nineteen when it was his time to go, and I just wasn’t ready to lose a friend like him. Right now, I can envision him showing off his straight, white teeth walking down the roads of gold along side the pearly gates of Heaven.

I will never forget.

From my experience, the hardest part of life is having to lose someone that is close to your heart and means so much to you. Now, I would give anything to see the two of them again. Even though life is short and time flies, my memories of Tasha and Michael will be with me for eternity.