Music Equals Life

Kyle - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Early on a bright Sunday morning, I got a phone call. A friend of mine, Tasha, had died in a car accident, and I didn’t know how to deal with it. I was asked to sing a song that was written for her funeral, and I couldn’t refuse. How could I have? After I learned and modified the song, I realized that the music helped me emotionally.

What is music exactly? To give a dictionary definition, music is an art of sound that expresses ideas and emotions through the elements of rhythm, melody, and harmony. I believe this sound of art is more than just a compilation of things, but a puzzle that is embedded within us all.

For Tasha’s funeral, the music on the page had the properties of a foreign language. I had to interpret it to the best of my abilities. The scattered designs thrown, in what seemed like random order, began to flow together to form a language that any tongue can relate. The notes built up to beautiful chords that pulled together and created a sound that could chill the very backs of all existence. These notes could have dug deep down into our souls and triggered millions of different emotions. I couldn’t help but cry. The song reminded me of her so much and I began to imagine her still alive.

I believe that every song has an implied emotion that is meant to be understood or at least felt. When I write songs, I embed a part of myself in either the lyrics or just the song in general. Naturally, when I listen to music, I compare my thoughts and feelings to the song, and I connect. If I don’t like the song, I still connect in some way, shape or form.

Music is my way of therapeutic relief. It helps me release either a positive or negative energy, whichever I may be feeling. I would much rather express myself with a God-given talent than let myself be interrogate by and old person with a “P.H.D.” who claims he/she understands how I feel and act.

In other words, music is one of the most powerful forms of therapy considering it affects our emotions all the time. This sound of art, I believe, is the basis of life whether we realize it or not.

Music equals life.