The Significance of Life

Victoria - Hot Springs, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem

The Significance of Life

“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” I was about seven years old, and my mom was driving through Little Rock on a chilly, fall day when we saw an old man on the side of the road. Wrapped in a torn up blanket, he held a cardboard sign that read “Homeless and hungry”. The traffic slowed down, and my mom rolled down her window to give him a twenty dollar bill. When he accepted the money, a flash of light shot through his eyes. With that one look, I could see the love he felt with that one gesture. I believe that life should be worth something.

Helping the homeless man had taught me the significance of the insignificant. My mother’s actions that day were insignificant. No one ten years down the road would remember what had happened and no one really cared. Helping him may not have been a big deal for someone in the car behind us, or even for my mom, but they didn’t see sparks in his eyes. I did.

Throughout my life, I have been around people who really care for everything around them. I have also met people who want to drift away with life and don’t really care if they ever accomplish anything. It’s those people sorry for.

In September, I walked into a Shell station to pay for my gas. I looked on the counter and saw a bucket that read “Jim Wells had a heart attack a month ago, and he can’t pay to have the treatment. If you can, he would be very grateful if you could donate your spare change.” As I read this, I felt my heart drop. My grandfather had died when I was ten years old from a sudden heart attack. It took along time for me to cope with his death because of how close we were. Then I thought to myself, “What if this man has a little granddaughter?” I dug through my purse and found as much money as I could. I ended up being able to donate fifty dollars. This man will never know who donated it, but I know that it will help.

I believe that every life should amount to something. If all someone does in life is to smile to make other people’s day better, then that person has lived to make the world better. My goal in life is to do well and to help whenever I can, not for the credit of doing good, but silently. “My business in life is to make something, it doesn’t matter what it is, but to prove my existence.”