The Friendship Formula

Anjelica - Hot Springs, Arkansas

When I was in 5th grade, I had my clique of about 15 friends, whom I all believed were my “best friends.” We all told each other everything at lunch, whether it was about our latest crush, or who did what to whom yesterday. We would get in trouble for writing and passing notes to each other in class, and we listened to the typical “teeny-bopper” music together every weekend. I thought I had it made, and all of these people would be my friends through thick and thin. As time passed, and I was in the 7th grade, my clique of friends had become smaller and much different than before. At this time, everyone talked behind everyone’s backs and had certain people they were closer to than others. Secrets circulated throughout the group, and people got mad. During this time, all that mattered to most everyone in the group was popularity status and other people’s business. By the time 8th grade came around, I sort of ventured off from my old clan and made some new friends. I only kept one friend close from 7th grade, and I think that was because she was new and wasn’t aware of all the misfortunes that had occurred. I kept the same group of friends up until 9th grade, when everything changed, and I learned to cherish my friendships while I had them.

My freshman year was interesting to say the least and was a growing period for my friends and me. We were all testing the waters with new people, making new friends, and trying new things. I had become very close with my friend from 7th grade, Tasha, and I knew I would at least have her through my high school experience right along with me. Everything seemed as if it was going perfect, until the early morning of May 6th, 2007. On this day, the day I consider the worst of my life, I learned that my partner-in-crime had been killed in a car accident. In the next few months, I began to slowly learn the value of a friend, and who remained by my side even after Tasha’s death. After her death, I felt very alone. I felt like I had no one to run to anymore; no one to talk to. I thought I had figured out who my real friends were, but even those people had abandoned me.

Today, I have learned to believe that friendships are about quality, not quantity. When I was younger, friendships only consisted for lunch and drama. Now, I only have a few close friends, and more acquaintances. My group of friends is completely different than before, and I am happy for that. Not everyone I talk to on a daily basis is my friend, and I believe that having a few good friends is much better than having many fake friends. Having people in your life that you can rely on is important, and I am glad that I have finally realized this.