Being Yourself

Tierney - Hot Springs, Arkansas

Being Yourself

“I’ve learned that if someone says something unkind or untrue about me, I must live so that no one will believe it.”

In life, people will say rude stuff to and about you. But I believe that it is up to the person that is being talked about to be the bigger person and just shake it off.

Most people freak out when something untrue about them is being spread around. We feel like we have to change and act totally different than who we really are because we do not want other people to believe the gossip they hear.

I believe that people need to quit trying to please everyone else by acting like something or someone that they are not, and worry about making themselves happy. Think about it. If every time a person was being talked about, that person felt like he or she needed to change so others would not believe the gossip, then everyone would be changing constantly, because believe it or not, people talk all the time. Not necessarily about you, but about others. So everyone would be changing, and no one would really be him or herself.

If something untrue is going around, then just be yourself. If the gossip going around is really untrue, then people will know it is untrue when the gossip they hear and the way we act have nothing in common.

There was one time when I was in ninth grade that some nasty rumors about me were going around. You know what I did? Exactly what I shouldn’t have done. I unsuccessfully tried to change so people wouldn’t believe the rumors. And that got me to the unhappiest place in my life. I was not happy because I was not acting like my self. I was acting completely different, and I hated it. So I decided right then and there to change.

I used to try to change all the time when I would hear untrue stuff about me going around. But when my ninth grade situation came up, I realized that if I try to change every time something was going around, then I’d be spending a good amount of my time trying to change myself to please everyone else, and I do not want to live my life like that. Don’t ever let the world and the people in the world shape who you are. You need to be yourself 100% of the time.

So, the next time you hear something untrue about you going around do not try to change. Just be yourself and live so that no one will believe it.