Life is about Changing

Morgan - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I do not like change. The unknown has always terrified me. I am the type of person that likes life to be planned out. When something comes up and changes the plan I have a very hard time adjusting, but I do understand that sometimes change is unavoidable. Over the past few years I have learned to accept it.

My mother, on the other hand, is the exact opposite of me. It seems she lives to be spontaneous. When everything is planned out she gets bored and ends up doing things her own way. She has never understood why I get so bothered by being different.

I can remember being a little girl driving down the road with my mom and hearing her say “Hmm…I wonder where this road goes?” The next thing I know, we would be driving down the unknown street. My mom would consider it an “adventure,” but I would be worrying myself sick. She would assure me that everything would be okay, but I could not believe her. Just driving unexpectedly driving down a random street would terrify me.

Sadly, one can not go through life with a map. No such thing exists. One must travel into the unknown all the time in life, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Worrying and stressing does absolutely no good. Things happen, and in order to be happy, one must accept change and move on with his/her life. This became especially apparent to me a few years ago.

When I was eight years old, I got the news that my family was going to move to Hot Springs, Arkansas. That was a huge ordeal for me, especially because I did not know how to adapt to change very well. I was going to have to leave all of my friends and start all over at a new school with new people. About a year after the move, my family began to keep foster children. I had been an only child for the majority of my life, and now there were little kids running around everywhere. That was another huge change that I had to deal with. No longer did I get everything I wanted, nor was I the center of attention.

As time went on, I began to love my new life. Living in a different place with a big family taught me more bout life then I could have ever imagined. Things were not always easy, but we learned to stick together and things would work out.

I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason, and not all change is bad. Because we moved to Arkansas, and we began to keep foster kids, my family has adopted a beautiful little boy. Without change, life would be boring. Although sometimes it is not pleasant, in someway it will make us better people or teach us something if you let it. If one goes around worrying about it then he or she will never be happy.