My Credence

Andrew - Nile, Michigan

The person that has had the most significant influence on my life is my Uncle Gene. Through my Uncle’s good and bad experiences he has taught me many things. My Uncle Gene lives day to day and through this has taught me one of the most important lessons, to see the best in every single day. My Uncle is a very strong and faith filled person who has lived through many tragedies including a loss of both sons. He has also dealt with his house catching on fire. Though he has lost two sons, Uncle Gene is not wrathful toward the world, but instead upbeat, positive and always genuinely happy. He believes that his sons are in a better place. It is amazing to me how one can sustain so much loss and still be as caring and positive as he is going through life. Watching him struggle to cope with all that has happened is in and of itself inspirational.

I have learned through my Uncle Gene that it is not always what you have that makes you happy, but how you take pains in your life and turn them into something to live for and something to give you hope. One characteristic that I hope to gain from my Uncle is the ability to live one day at a time. This is a great characteristic to have because each day there is something new to gain out of life. Another characteristic that I hope to gain from him is the ability to be there for my friends, family, and peers, in other words, go out of my way to help people. As I grow older and go through life I hope to achieve more of this ability to reach out and help others. My Uncle Gene is easily one of the most influential people in my life and I hope I can become half the man that he is today.

Though my Uncle has taught me much about living day to day, I am the only person that can act on this idea. I always try to live each day knowing that life is a once in a life-time opportunity that cannot be wasted. Going into each day with this way of thinking helps me go through life living to the best of my ability. One of my personal goals is to help others and make a lasting impression on their lives, hopefully a good one, just as my Uncle Gene has done for me. But it is not part of my goal to impress others. When I look back at my life, I want to impress myself. If I find that I have impressed myself, I will know that my chance at life was lived to its fullest. I hope to one day rest in peace knowing that the influence my Uncle Gene had on my life has been passed on through my actions and will continue on through others.