Green Fields

Kalli - Rupert, Idaho Albania
Themes: work

Every summer was the same. I would wake up between six and seven, eat breakfast, change into sweat pants and a sweat shirt, put on my boots, grab my pipe moving apron and shovel, then head out to work till the afternoon. Then about five o clock in the evening the same thing would happen again. It never changed and by the end I could predict each day down to the last minute. From this every day practice I gained a belief that hard work and a job well done brings about great satisfaction.

At the beginning of the summers my job was fun, only because it was something new to do during the day besides go to school. As the days turned into weeks and the weeks turned into months the job wasn’t the fun I remembered from the beginning. I would begin the summers working in a brown field that looked like nothing would ever grow. In fact just about every field looked that way: brown and ugly. People would drive into my hometown and I would be ashamed because nothing was green or beautiful.

So every day I walked outside and took a look at the brown field and hated it. My boots were always caked with mud and that made walking in the fields horrible. Every step I took made a sucking sound and each sound reminded me of the ugliness that surrounded me. So why would I keep working in a place like this? I knew if I worked hard enough I would be able to bring about something beautiful. If I didn’t work hard enough, things would stay the same and I wanted to work hard and bring beauty into my small town.

My father always taught me when I had a job to do I needed to do it right and work hard at it to accomplish it on time. It was drilled into my head since I was little and farming requires a lot of hard to work to accomplish a task. If I didn’t do it right, or I skipped a day, the crops wouldn’t grow and the brown fields I was trying to turn green wouldn’t. Every day was important and if I didn’t work hard and do a correct job the money we spent to plant the crops would be wasted.

Seeing the green fields in my mind was the only thing that was helping me get up in the morning and understanding why each day was a repeat of the last. Finally as the end of the summer rolled around I would look out at the green fields and see what I had done. I had helped with this beautiful place, and once again I was proud of my hometown. My belief that hard work and a job well done brought about great satisfaction was strengthened with each new day.