Compassion and Love

vicki - omaha, Nebraska

I believe that we need more love and compassion for others. “Life is a struggle” people say to me, my mom says “don’t give up, once you give up then your passion for life is gone”. I believe that children impact our lives in ways that we don’t realize humanly possible. They make us feel the most perfect love possible. I had my daughter when I was 17 years old and was lost in a sea of chaos. My experience being in foster care doesn’t come close to having my daughter. She has changed my life in so many dramatic ways. When she came I looked at my mother with sheer panic in my eyes. My mom looked at me and said “everything will be all right; I promise you will do wonderful”. I felt no true purpose in life until I had her. She has taught me discipline, love and the innocence in life. I believe that she is the reason that I am where I am today. I decided to go into the human services field in college because of her to show her that anyone could do it. By it I mean succeed in life. She has given me a drive and passion for life that I never had before. I am now dedicated to being successful in life for her. My mother and father pushed me to go to college, to give her the life that she deserves. I am now a senior in college graduating in the spring and every time I get tired of studying late nights I look at her and see that someday she will be proud of her mother.

The first job I had in the human services field was working at a drug and alcohol treatment center. Outside our doors was a homeless shelter where a lot of them frequented our services. The first time I helped a man who needed food my heart broke. I learned so much that day. The words that I hear all the time in my head came back again, life is a struggle. I saw my opportunity to help someone, to make their life better, even for only a couple hours. All he needed was some food, dry clothes, and an ear to listen to him. I can still smell him, the raw desperate cry for help makes my drive to help others a daily task. No one asks to be homeless cold and hungry. This has showed me a wide range of emotions that I had buried deep inside me. Drug and alcohol can ruin lives and I have seen it. I now have experienced a new sense of myself that I never knew before. I understand these people that I am helping. It is a gratifying experience. No one knows how hard it is to ask for help unless you yourself experience it. I myself have realized that it is okay to ask for help when needed. I am going to use what I have learned to continue to help others. I may not be able to change the world but I will be able to make an impact on someone’s life.