Bonnie - Grand Rapids, Michigan

“Friends are family we choose for ourselves” (Edna Buchanan). Sometimes your biological family just isn’t enough for you. Sometimes you just need someone else to talk to other then your family. That’s why we have friends. Friends are simply the family that we get to choose for ourselves. I believe that friends can become your family.

There have only been three people in my life that I truly feel have become close enough to me that I think of them as part of my family, Brianne, Erica, and David. I have known Brianne since eighth grade, and I got to know Erica just because she was Brianne’s sister. But it wasn’t until my sophomore year in high school that the three of us became the best of friends. This summer the three of us worked at school, five days a week for eight and a half hours each day. The whole working part of the day wasn’t the best, but the fact that I got to spend each day with my two best friends was what made me want to come to work every day. Each day they would pick me up for work in the morning, and afterwards the three of us would walk to my house and they we would hang out until their mom came to pick them up. Besides working, the three of us girls went to concerts, went to baseball games, went shopping, went swimming, ate dinner with my family, watched movies, and when we had nothing else to do we would just sit in my room and talk about anything and everything. This summer was definitely the best summer vacation I have had and it is one that will stay with me forever. Brianne, Erica, and I used to joke around saying that they were my “adopted sisters” but now I really do think of them as my “sisters” because that’s how important they are to me.

After only a one year of knowing David, I think of him now as my “oldest brother.” I think back to the day I first met David, it was an early Sunday morning and he was going to be joining us for church. I walked into the kitchen and there he was, my brother’s friend. “So, you must be Bonnie?” That was the first that came out of his mouth. I didn’t know at that point that he was going to be more than just a random friend that my brother met in college. Ever since that day, David and my entire family have been through a lot together. Last year, Benjamin was working a ton, especially during dinner, but David would come over for dinner when Benjamin wasn’t even there. The weirdest part was that David calls my Mom and Dad, “Mom and Dad.” Most people might find that strange, but if David were to ever call my parents by Mr. and Mrs. V it would be plain weird. As the school year came to an end, David went back to his family in Minnesota for the summer. When I got my last hug from him before he left I don’t think I realized what was happening until he was actually home. I never fully understand how much David meant to me until he was back home. David is one of my brother’s friends, but he is also my “oldest brother.”

David, Brianne, and Erica are my three friends that I have chosen to be part of my family. The three of them mean the world to me. Without them I wouldn’t be who I am today, all of them have helped me with so much throughout the past few years. And without them I wouldn’t be who I am today. I have been blessed to have “sisters” and a ¬“oldest brother” that I know will be there for me whenever I need them.