The Drive for Humility

Tara - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I believe in minivans. No, I am not a soccer mom, but more accurately a seventeen-year-old senior in high school who drives one. It’s an extremely embarrassing ’96 navy blue Mercury Villager. It was passed down to me from my older brother who managed to put three dents in it, broke the air conditioning, and somehow managed to get that Twinkie cream filling wedged in all the nooks and crannies. The brakes squeak, and the “Check Engine” light is constantly flickering. And yet every time I get behind the wheel, I am reminded of why I believe in Old Blue so much. My belief is that driving a minivan keeps me humble. I find that I am much more down to earth than before – and it’s all thanks to my mom-mobile.

Now, I wasn’t always so set on this rather strange belief. When I was first handed the keys to the van, you can bet I was anything but grateful. It only got worse when my best friend got her license, and her parents gave her this incredibly cute red convertible. And then the mocking began. For months my friends mocked me mercilessly. Of course it was all in good fun, but people who drive minivans are much more sensitive than normal people, so their comments really stung. I remember when my friends called me “mom” for weeks, and I actually received a card on Mother’s Day.

So where did my belief originate? How did I ever move on from these traumatic memories? Well, there I was at a red light, wallowing in my self-pity, when I looked out my frosty window and saw a bundled up woman facing the freezing wind as she walked to work. It was like God had whacked me on the back of the head. I realized how lucky I am to even have a car. I don’t ever have to walk places; I have transportation right at my fingertips. Who cares if I drive a slightly humiliating vehicle? It keeps me grounded, and for that I should be appreciative toward my van. I’ve been driving this same van for more than a year now, and I’m happy to report that it’s turned me into a much more humble person, and I now realize that in God’s eyes, I am an equal to everyone else driving on the road.

1 Peter 5:6 says, “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.” So maybe I’ll get to drive a sweet car in Heaven, but for now, I’m fine with just swallowing my pride. Every time I’m driving around in my van, I am reminded that I am no better than anyone else, and I definitely need that lesson every now and then. So if you see me on the street driving around in my minivan, honk and tell me I look humble, because I definitely don’t look cool.