Life’s simple treasures

Shakura - Seattle, Washington
Themes: carpe diem

Have you ever just sat on the lawn, with the breeze making the trees sway and took in all the wonderful things lfe has to offer? My name is Shakura, and I believe in appreciating the simple things in life.

At too many times in my life I have complained about stuff that isn’tvery important, and recently through a painful experience I have learned that life is just too short to not appreciate everything about it.The night I found out my 21 year old cousin, Brandon Wilkins was shot in the head and died was when everything changed. Since that night I have reflected upon many things and have come to a realization that I do not fully appreciate all lifes simple things. That night was a wake-up call to me. I mean, you never know when any day could be your last. Too many people (including me) take the simple “treasures” in life for granted, because most often we are busy concentrating on what’s wrong with our lives instead of focusing on one thing that brings us joy. Take this for example: imagine you’re laying on a beach, ice-cream cone in hand, soaking up the sun’s rays while reading a nice juicy book. It’s pleasant, isn’t t?

Now I want you to take a moment and close your eyes. Think back to one memory where you enjoyed life’s simple treasures. It could be from reading a good book, cold water on a hot day, to talking to your best friend, or even taking a stroll in the park in the fall and hearing the leaves crunch under your feet with every step you take. Now picture this scene: It’s a summer night and you’re at the beach while the sun is going down, crickets making noise in the background while you hear the waves crash softly against the rocks. What colors do you see? What’s amazing is that no sunset is ever the same. Colors could range from pink to orange-yellow to a soft gold hue. All of these things are all of life’s simple wonders. That’s what’s so beautiful about simple things in life.

I believe that everyone should take a moment or two to appreciate what life has to offer. We live in a world full of chaos and craziness but if we just stopped to look around, we would notice that life is filled with simple, yet wonderful things. I believe in appreciating simple treasures that life brings us.