Democracy in America – The Best in the World

Francis - Elmwood Park, Illinois

The country looks like reeling. With the stocks market tumbling, banks, lending and other financial institutions waving for help while others have already been salvaged, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan seem to be all the more protracted and the troops will have to stay away from home for some more time.

Is it the worst time to be an American? I don’t think so. Dynamism and resiliency is now at its highest in the country. People who dreamt big and worked hard now realize that they have to work harder and exercise restraints, become more frugal to live those dreams.

Across the (wall) street, executives, geeks and money makers see the end of their fantasies and learn humiliating lessons some maybe in simple oblivion others behind the iron bars. It seems that the truth of the principle of privilege and responsibility being parallel lines begin to sink in their hearts. While so many have been laid off from work and are claiming unemployment benefits, still a whole lot more do not lose hope and embrace whatever kind of livelihood and opportunity they encounter. On a regular basis lately, Americans welcome back their heroes coming home from

defending the country and liberating citizens of another. Not too many other nations in the world are interested in that kind of intrepidness.

Conservatives vigorously defend their fundamental rights while liberalism seems to gain more grounds than ever before. Capitalism looks vulnerable and the United States government comes to the rescue, I call that democracy far excellence.

Where I come from, an elderly ex-governor prosecuted, convicted and jailed is news yet to happen. When somebody gets away from murder or so it seems, and years later his sins find him and hunt him down, we call it karma, here they send the guy in jail where he belongs – and then they call it justice.

It is election time and two great candidates have been nominated by their respective parties. Their qualifications maybe poles apart but equally worth the rich votes of the citizenry. A young African-American highly educated and experienced senator, Barak Obama is a very promising leader. If he gets elected, the country can attest more its adherence to the principle of the land of the free. On the other hand an elderly soldier, statesman and a war hero is posed to serve his remaining years for more service to the country – truly then, if he wins, America is the home of the brave. In the end, whoever gets the votes, Americans emerge as the clear winner. With the young senator Obama, America will modernize its domestic and foreign policies and invigorate its economy. With the old and astute McCain, the country will rectify its mistakes and move on to become stronger and wiser than ever before.

Americans enjoy the legacy of their founding fathers’ genius and are therefore some of the most fortunate people in the world. As they once again stand at the crossroads, either one they choose – there is no way they can lose. Times are hard. Nevertheless they surely are in a win-win situation. America’s Democracy is still the best – This I believe.