I Believe in Forgiveness

Kaitlin - Houghton, Michigan

The dependent, loving toddler calls her “mommy”. At birth the mother instantly becomes the most important human figure to her child. However, increasing age spawns a sudden urge for independence and a juice for rebellion. The teenage me, wrestled every miniscule issue just for an inch of autonomy. My senior year of high school was the worst. I wanted to go running late at night, I wanted access to the family vehicle, I wanted to spend my money at a whim rather than utter the word “deposit”, I wanted to extend my curfew, I wanted, I wanted, I wanted. I would curse, violently slam the door, or screech the car wheels as I stormed from the house, yet my tantrums were never answered with positive outcomes. Every denial was so effortless for my mother. The incessant screaming and yelling and the irrelevant belittling exchanged between my mother and I became the household’s most audible radio station. This unhealthy behavior characterized our liaison as mother and daughter until seven months ago.

Before these seven months I was surprisingly content with the bloody combat which poisoned our family association. Seven months ago I was introduced to the real deal: my Savior, Jesus Christ. Journeying on a personal relationship with Jesus Christ has only served to benefit my interrelations with other people. Seeking the Word of Christ is a never ending process of purification; I believe that Christ’s love has taken a hold of my heart and changed me for the better. He has called me to lead a Christian life and taught me to repent of my sins and follies against others.

For the last seventeen years of my life I had taken the relationship with my mother for granted. However, following my miraculous change, I decided that despite the circumstances of any situation my mom deserved respect. It is important to place yourself in another individual’s position in life. Sometimes even the best result to an argument is to brace your mouth and humbly take the criticism: “But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also” Matthew 5: 39.

Currently, I am attempting the facets of forgiveness. My skills are far from impeccable. However, each situation regarding my mother brings me closer to the full circle. I refuse to hang up the phone on her in annoyance while at college, and I refrain from using swear words. Like my relationship with Christ, my mother and I are not yet perfect; we will continue to fall short and occasionally initiate disaster. We are human. The more we strive as individuals to echo the miraculous works of Christ, the happier our lives will be. Shadowing His unconditional love and relentless forgiveness is something intangible. It is truly a contagious gift because those who receive forgiveness are more likely to duplicate the sympathy. I believe that everyone deserves a second, third, or maybe even fourth chance; forgiveness is the key to human compassion and eternal happiness.