I believe that everyone needs a support system

Kelly - Newburgh, Indiana

I believe that everyone needs a Support System

Let me start off by saying that you may not always feel the need for a support system or someone to turn to when things get hard but there will be a point in your life when that’s all you need. I had an experience where I needed that support system.

Last semester I lost my roommate/best friend, Sally, in a fatal car accident. It was without a doubt the hardest day and the hardest time of my life. I had never lost anyone my age and so sudden. Somehow I managed my way through. I floated along the semester not knowing where I was going or where I would end up. I didn’t care but I knew that I had a support group that was there for me. My support group consisted of four girls, who knew me and my roommate on a personal level. We spent many nights sharing our experiences and memories with and about our beloved friend. We stood together with an inseparable bond. It took us months to attempt to come to terms with what had happened. Together we have come to a better place. I have realized that I had found my best friends through the death of a best friend; I realized that those girls would always be my support system.

There are many parts to a person’s support group. Here are mine:

I believe that if it wasn’t for my family and friends, I wouldn’t be back at school. They gave me the support and love that I needed to make me open my eyes and realize how strong I am. If it wasn’t for them, I would not have found happiness again; I would not have found peace with Sally’s death, I would have not found those amazing times that I spent with her to be inspiring. I believe that if it wasn’t for the daycare summer job, I would have not found confidence in myself again. I believe that if it wasn’t for the inspiration of the children I worked with, I would not have attempted to follow my life-long dream of becoming a teacher.

So in the end how strong do I feel about the power of a support group? Well, it gave me the strength to go on in life. My support system gave me a shoulder to cry upon, they let me lean on them, and they gave me the inspiration to find the light at the end of the tunnel. If it wasn’t for my support group I would be at home, moping around, and dwelling on Sally’s death, and dwelling on my life and what a disappointment it would have turned out to be. I believe in the power of a support system because it let me find true happiness again.