I Believe in the Power of Prayer

Kimberly - livonia, Michigan

I Believe in the Power of Prayer

I was raised a catholic. We went to Church most Sundays. I attended catechism classes every week. I remember walking past the doors of the other rooms and listening. Sometimes I would go to the bathroom and stop near the door and listen to the other teachers until I got caught. I really wanted to learn about God

About the time I reached the 7th grade I can recall my parents getting a letter from the church verifying their income and stating what percentage they expected for the church. At the time I thought this was wrong. I believe this was actually when my faith grew stronger. I started reading the Bible every chance I had. I learned that I didn’t have to go to church to pray. I learned that I was always connected to God. He was always there. I just had to believe and use the power of prayer. I had an intimate relationship with God.

I remember at the age of 17 my only sister was diagnosed with brain cancer. She had just graduated from high school she was 18 and was ready to start her life. Her faith was unshakable. I always admired that about her. It was like she truly understood. She prayed a lot. She went through many surgeries, radiation implants and radiation treatments. We lost her at the young age of 24. She was not afraid to die. It was her strength and prayers that made me stronger.

It was several years later when I really experienced the amazing power of prayer. One day out of the blue I received a phone call. My parents had been in a horrible car accident. I was informed that my father had not survived and my mother was being flight lifted to U of M Hospital. I was in shock as I raced to get to the hospital. I prayed the entire time. I can remember thinking if they were going to die this would be the way they wanted to go, together. They were soul mates. Then I asked God to give her back to me, please don’t take both of them. I reached the hospital before she did and they told me it was very bad. When she arrived it was worse than they had imagined. The social worker came to me and told me to prepare myself because they did not think she would make it. The weight of this news was more than I could bear. It was then that I prayed and told God it was in his hands now and I trusted him to do whatever was best. I can only try to explain what happened next. I felt as light as a feather, it was as if a million bricks had been lifted off my shoulders. I felt this amazing sense of peace. I had never felt this way before. I now wonder if that is how you feel when you die.

As things progressed I continued to have these amazing experiences and felt this presence at all times. Things continued and I had many decisions to make. She had been intubated at the scene of the accident. She was on life support and I had to make the decision to pull all life support. Her outlook was not good. If she survived she would probably be in a vegetative state. I had to make a decision. The doctor would be back in the morning, Sunday at 7 am. The doctor had another emergency and didn’t arrive until approximately 10:15-10:30. Everyone at her church was praying for her at that time. The doctor came out and said she is breathing on her own. I believe this was a miracle. I believe this was the power of prayer. Today my mom is alive and healthy. She defies science. She has beaten the odds. She is a survivor. She always puts me back on track and reminds me to pray. Her recovery is miraculous.

People asked how I had done all this. My reply was: “It wasn’t me it was God.” God led the way, he supplied me with the questions for the doctors, and he guided me to my options.

I will always believe in the power of prayer. My faith will never be rocked. No one can take that away from me. I will continue to pray for others to find the power in prayer as I have.