A Place I Call Home

Stephenie - Westland, Michigan

Late one evening while the nation was fast a sleep and unaware of anything about to happen, nineteen people were saying their prayers as they went over the plans they were about to convey on an un-expecting nation. That morning, un-expecting loved ones gave their hugs and kisses goodbye to their husbands and wives as they boarded their flights. Un-expecting loved ones gave their husbands and wives hugs and kisses as they went to work that morning. An un-expecting nation woke up and kissed their peace good bye.

It was 8:46 AM when the first plane hit. According to Bush this was “an unfortunate event” as he walked into an Elementary School in Sarasota, Florida. The smoke rose from the building that was formerly known as the World Trade Center’s North Tower. At exactly 9:03 AM the second plane hit what was formerly known as the World Trade Center‘s South Tower. The nation now knew that this was no longer just “an unfortunate event”, this was an attack.

Our un-expecting nation was clueless to what was going on at this time. It wasn’t until later that this was announced as a “terrorist attack by Al Qaeda.” Our nation as a whole wasn’t prepared for a catastrophe of this magnitude.

I was only 12 years old when all of this took place. I remember it quite clearly. I was sitting in my home room and all of a sudden the phone rang. The teacher picked up the phone and made a face, one that wasn’t too pleasant. He sat the phone down and proceeded to get up and go into the teachers conference room (as I know now what they were talking about) to discuss if they were going to keep the students at school and whether or not to tell them about the attacks. They made the decision to keep the attacks quite so that they wouldn’t scare the kids.

Parents quickly decided that the best decision was to come pick their children up so that they could be safe with their families. I was one of the students whose parents did not pick them up from school so I ended up hearing by world of mouth what was going on in my country.

There was attacks on the country. But I was unaware of the size of this event. It was almost one of those things where you knew what happened but didn’t know the details so you just spread the word around without knowing what it actually meant.

It was just a building, what’s the big deal? This is what I discussed with one of my friends in gym class that day. We sat on the floor and talked about these events that happened. Astounded that something like that would ever happen during our lifetime.

Then I heard it. I seen it. I realized what actually happened. There were people who willingly and purposely killed innocent people. They destroyed families, lives, and cities. It was almost like they destroyed what America meant to those who lived there.

There were deaths. Not just one or two. Not like Columbine. This was actually a mass murder that the nation wasn’t prepared for in any way, shape or form. This is what 9-11 really was.

I believe in a nation that honors those lost. I believe in a nation that fights for what’s right. I believe in a nation that I can proudly call my own.