American election and sectarian candidates

Art - 92604, California

Considering the failure of other economical systems in the world, as Americans we need to support a supreme candidate to rescue our competitive and self regulating free market economical system. Since the most well known Supreme Being is busy with other challenges, the god can not get involved in politic.

The reason for separation of state and god is the tendency toward discrimination, conflict, and war by a government that is based on religion. Some experts believe that the current economical challenge is due to prolongation of the war in Iraq which in turn is due to unresolved sectarian conflicts. However, the current sectarian Iraqis seem to have fewer conflicts than other sectarian people in the Middle East or even in the US.

While the current Iraqi Prime Minister, Maliki, is a Shiite, President Talibani is a Sunni. Some people even believe that Talibani is secular despite his pilgrimage to Mecca and acquiring the title of Haji Jalal, which makes him as religious as his peers. Although these Iraqis are religious, to their credit they have distributed the power in the highest offices between their sects, unlike other Middle Eastern countries.

Even in Israel, the most secular Middle Eastern country, no non-Jewish leader has been in charge of the government. In the rest of the Middle East one has to be not only a Muslim but a sectarian Sunni or Shiite to lead the country. For instance in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Turkey, and Afghanistan no one but Sunni Muslims have a chance for the highest office. The same applies to Iran where no Sunni can be trusted to become the supreme leader or the president.

Similar to sectarian Middle Eastern, most Americans expect their candidates to be sectarian or at least pretend to be religious. Jon Stewart had an interview with Bill Maher about his new movie, Religioulus. Maher stated that neither McCain nor Obama is religious despite their claim during the campaign. Based on Maher’s argument the reason these candidates go to church or tell us god bless you is because the Whitehouse has no room for a non-religious president.

Maher forgot to mention that the American presidential candidates have to show they are sectarian and believe in Christianity and no other religion. The US is still not ready for the Jewish Joe Lieberman or the Mormon Mitt Romney. Obama fought very hard to prove that his Middle name has nothing to do with Islam. Most likely both Obama and McCain are sincere Christians. However, if Maher is right about them not being Christians, what sect would they have to belong if they were Muslims? Probably McCain had to be a Sunni and Obama a Shiite.

Sunnis believe a senior man such as Abu-Baker was the right choice to follow their prophet, while Shiites believe a young man such as Ali-ibn-Talebani would have been more qualified to make their enemies submit to Islam. McCain values tradition and partnership with a younger mate or vice president who is willing to follow his leadership, while Obama prefers changing tradition and learning from an experienced mate or vice president who can be his teacher. McCain opposes Shiite Iran and Obama is less friendly toward Sunni Pakistan and Turkey. These differences might help sectarian Americans whom to vote for, but it does not help secularists at all. What might make both candidates more qualified to lead our modern and free country is the ability to separate their inner spiritual belief from politic.