The day I learned the truth

Howard - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I believe in everything happening for a reason. For my entire life, I have been blessed with the pleasure of learning things “the hard” way. Through this curse I have developed the belief that everything does in fact happen for a reason. There have been numerous experiences in my life where I thought that I was being screwed out of something only to later see that I was actually being benefited.

From the summer of 2006 until last June, I was “monitored” by the state of Michigan for my juvenile actions in the summer of 2006. Over the entire course of that two-year period I experienced things I will never forget. Court, jail, and a probation officer are just a few of the things I got to experience. My carefree life was quickly transformed into one with no room for error. This meant that everything I did on a day to day basis, required more thought then ever before, because any mistake could land me with a multiple year prison sentence. After being put in jail for close to 48 hour, on account of my arraignment, I found myself pondering weather or not I deserved the punishment I was receiving. My answer to my own question was always, no. As I progressed through the two-year period I learned that my answer was wrong.

Overnight, my life was transformed from carefree, to strait shooting, loyal, and true. Once I reached what would be the half waypoint in my probation period. I was eligible for early release from the program. Finally that day came, the exact halfway point. I had never been so excited. As I stood in the elevator, headed for the basement of the Washtenaw county court house, my emotions were almost uncontrollable.

As I walked off the elevator and into her office all I could think about was being free and on my own again. Then the right moment came, time to ask the big question. “I have reached the halfway point in my probation, may I be realized? With out hesitation, “NO” came flying out. Almost taking me off my feet. At that very moment I realized I was not ready to be realest even though I thought I had learned my lesson. This was a turning point in my life. That exact moment was the beginning of my belief in everything happening for a reason. From that point on I was not mad at my self for being so stupid. I took the situation as a learning experience. An experience that would teach me more about my self then I ever knew. I unconsciously got in trouble to teach myself a lesson.

As I look back on that two-year period in my life, it is clear that everything happens for a reason. Learning experiences, visions, and harsh realities stand out like a black hole in a white wall as I review those challenging times in my life. Everything did happen for a reason.