entertainment worth expense

zach - seabrook, New Hampshire
Themes: question, sports

Is holding the career homerun record in baseball more important than career lives saved? Everyday thousands of men and women put their lives on the line to save and help others. Fire fighters make an average of 35,000 dollars base salary for first year. The minaum salary for a rookie football player is 225,000 dollars.

Professional athletes are overpaid, this I believe. I believe this because Tom Brady goes out and throws a touchdown and is cheered for, a firefighter saves a life and no one outside of the state hears about it, and anyone outside of the town is rare. I believe doctors, police officers, military personal and teachers should all be paid more than athletes, along with many other jobs. Athletes are used for entertainment, and they are paid more than people we need.

The facts make me question our society. Where did this overpaying of athletes start and why? Does the salary reflect our appreciation and thoughts on these jobs we require? Sports athletes get bonuses for big wins, but a soldier doesn’t get a bonus for getting shot.

I think we need to reevaluate who we give the big pay checks too. People need to think about who is more important to them in their life. Is the entertainment worth the expense?