Faith Overcomes

Steven - Glendale, Arizona

Faith overcomes everything. Having that quality has changed my life in the past so dramatically that it’s almost impossible to put into words. I grew up knowing things weren’t always going to be easy, but I also realized that with God at my right hand, there would never come a storm that I couldn’t get through.

Storms I experienced such as when I was faced with a life threatening disease called alports. It dominated the way I ate and the schedule of my day. It affected my emotional state when I was told it was a life threatening disease. Alports is more commonly comprehended as a kidney disease. Sine this is a genetic disease running in my family, I was able to detect the possible chance I had it at an early age. When I was ten, I was fitted for a hearing aid and just two years later I was prescribed a pair of glasses for my eyes. These two events are very common for patients with alports. At the age of seventeen, I was diagnosed officially and immediately underwent blood test after blood test to get me on the kidney transplant list. At that time I knew I had a choice to make. I could either break down and cry as to why was this happening to me, or I could stay strong and remember the kind words of my savior:

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians4: 6-7

God’s miracles are all around me. They always have been, and they always will be. I knew at that point that there was no need to fear. For I believe in the promise God has made to me, and I refuse to give in to fear. Instead I choose to trust. I trust the words of my savior and hold fast to His word. I continued the blood tests with confidence and courage. I willingly gave up some of the foods I enjoyed most so that my failing kidneys could do their best until the transplant came. Even though as time went on and my test numbers continuously declined, I kept smiling. I knew that my faith in God would come through. My family watched as my health continued its downward spiral, and I approached the fate of two completely failed kidneys. Dialysis was standing on my doorstep calling my name, and it was something for which I really wasn’t ready. I’d pray day in and day out that God would grant me the wish of a kidney transplant. Five months later I was put on the transplant list and after only a three-week wait, the call that I longed for finally came! On the morning of January 5th, 2007, God came to my side and accompanied me throughout the entire surgery. I believe he knew that I wasn’t ready for the pain that awaited me in dialysis, and he chose to grant me my prayer.

Here I am a year and a half since my transplant, with a healthy kidney and a new life to begin! My health has performed incredibly well, and I thank the Lord everyday for what he did on that morning of January 5th. I spend my time serving in the church and in the community, as well, for I know that’s what He intended for me to do. My faith came through that day, and it still does on a continuous basis. I believe that my faith in God has the power to do anything in this world, and without a doubt, He has the ability to perform miracles.

“I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians4: 10-13