I believe in being a good friend and role model to my little sister.

Lauryn - Jacksonville, Florida

I believe in being a good friend and role model to my sister.

When my sister and I are in a fight my parents would often say “she maybe the only family you have one day.” I can’t imagine life every being like that, but in many ways it could be true with all my relatives getting older and being that we are the only grandchildren on my mom’s side of the family. No matter the age difference or the paths we may choose to take in life, I will always be there be for her and I hope she will always be there for me.

I grew up the only child for seven years, and before Kaitlyn was born I would always tell my parents that I wanted a little sister. I still remember to this day my mom waking up in the middle of the night about to go into labor in April of 2004. Since my mom didn’t know how long it would take she asked my grandparents to come watch me, and take me to school the next morning. I was really upset that I couldn’t go with them, but as soon as I was out of school my grandparents and I all drove down to the Women’s Hospital together. On the way there I was on the phone with my mom, and she told me to watch Meme’s driving because the day I was born she backed into another car. Although I was only seven years old when she was born, and I still remember finally being able to see her, and how tiny she was and also that she had a huge head of hair compared to me being born bald. That day so many family, friends, and even our pastor stopped by the hospital to greet little Kaitlyn into this world. When all the visiting started to die down, one of the nurses surprised me with blue t-shirt that sad “I am the Big Sister” and on it had Kaitlyn’s little footprints. From then on out I knew my life had changed and I was proud and ready to be a big sister.

Although my sister and I have are differences and have seven years between us, over the last couple of years I feel that those differences have started to disappear and that we become more closer than ever. She is now 14 years old, and will be going into high school next year and I dread the fact the she could start dating and going to parties in the next few years. I was always tell Kaitlyn if you think you have to worry about dad, you haven’t seen anything yet, because I’ll be the one cleaning the shot gun when a boy comes to the house top pick you up for a date. Through all my experiences growing up I learned how to handle different situations, and I know she has a VERY good head on her shoulders but I can’t help it that I am the over protective big sister. I love her to death, and I tell her whenever you need to talk about friends, mom, or need help with homework that I will always be there for her even if I am far away right now.

Not only do I believe in being a good friend to my little sister, I also believe in being a good role model. I know that I am not perfect, but I learned from all my experiences that I have had in life, and till this day I still continue striving to be the best role model that I can be for her. I am not a hypocrite preaching one thing and doing another, and being that I am such a real role model this has allowed her to see the mistakes I have made and learn from them and also this has given her the ability to feel comfortable enough to talk to me about things. For instance she came to me a few months ago saying that she had her first peck, but didn’t want me to tell my parents so I kept that secret safe. I know she looks up to me for both advice and support, so whenever I feel that there is an opportunity to be a good friend and role model to her I take full advantage of it. We are both very hard on ourselves, so when I see her getting upset over a grade or from losing a tennis match I always tell her I still know that your very smart and a talented athlete all you can is study more or trying harder next time.

Our relationship isn’t perfect and at times we can be down each others throats, but at the end of the day I know she is the only sister I have. Thankfully I have parents that are all about spending quality time together, and honestly I couldn’t imagine life being any other way, but my parents are right when they say “one day my sister could be the only family I have.” Hearing that kind of comment makes us end the stupid fight we maybe in at the time, and to realize what matters the most is each other and being there for one another. Kaitlyn is my friend, my family, my shoulder to cry on, my support, my pedicure and shopping buddy, and the person I call to talk to when I need to vent about mom, but don’t get me wrong I love to my mom to death, but not matter what paths we choose to take in life I will always be there for her as a role model and also as a good friend. I know that I wouldn’t be who I am today, if my wish for a little sister hadn’t come true.