Jeff - Huntsville, Alabama

I believe in God. I believe in living a moral life and loving one another. It makes you feel better about yourself. It makes the people you encounter feel better. It makes society better able to function. It gives you a since of purpose.

I believe that the Bible is a wonderful book of fiction based on some historical truth. It was not written by God. It was written by Neolithic herdsmen living in tents that were merely recording oral traditions. They didn’t mind stretching the truth to make a good point. As are all stories passed down by men, it was embellished and exaggerated.

I believe that all religions were invented by men. It is a natural product of seeking a meaning to life and easing the fear of death. The core of most religious teachings is tolerance, love, peace and hard work. These things are good. It’s fine to practice such a religion as long as you know that you’re following man’s word and not God’s. It’s bad to practice a religion if you believe that it’s the only true word of God and that all others are wrong. It’s at that point men (and women) spin religion to create intolerance and hate. This has been repeated continuously throughout history.

I believe that one day mankind will evolve to the point that most individuals will recognize and obey the natural principals of love, understanding and cooperation without having to cling to ancient mythology. I believe that will be a wonderful day.