My Parent’s Divorce

Zahra - Dearborn, Michigan
Themes: family, hope, setbacks

My Parent’s Divorce

As a kid growing up my worst fear was if my parents were to ever divorce. I never really knew what divorce meant but had an idea from the both of my parents. 60% of all marriages end up in divorce. A few years ago that was nothing but a statistic to me. Sadly that has now become a reality. At the age of 12 my mom filed for divorce from my dad.

All over the world marriage is viewed as a wonderful journey that one will eventually embark on. As a child I have always interpreted marriage as a fairy tale that both individuals live happily ever after. However, the reality of my parents’ marriage came about when I reached middle school. Their marriage was falling apart very quickly. It seemed that they fought about everything they can possibly think of. It was to the point where they didn’t care if my brother and I were around or not. Some nights I cried myself to sleep and later on had terrible nightmares of them getting divorced.

It never occurred to me that two people that have lived together for 15 years and had 2 kids together could be so cold and bitter with one another. My brother who is 4 years younger than I was too young to understand what was happening to my parents’ marriage. I was always there to comfort and distract him from the reality of our lives. My role in his life was not limited to only an older sister but also as a leaning shoulder when times got rough. I remember very vividly. One night my mother was very angry with my father and decided to leave the house. She did not tell me or my little brother where she was going and did not come home for 1 week. I remember thinking in my mind “I’m never going to see her again” My younger brother could not stop crying and while my father was at work I was the only one to care and nurture him. My brothers’ love and attachment grew more for me. I was always there for him as an older caring sibling.

For my mother and father this has been occurring with them from day one of their marriage. My little brother and I were too young to take sides or even understand what was going on between them. All the fighting and bickering was truly horrid. I don’t recall ever having a night of peace in the house with the both of them. If someone were to ever ask me are you happy with them together or would you prefer having them divorced? I would say I like my life better this way.

Soul mates are two mates that are destined with one another. For my parents this was never the case. I believe that struggles pull one another closer. After the divorce this struggle pulled my family closer. I believe through hardships there is happiness at the end of the road. Don’t ever tell god how big your storm is. Tell your storm how big your god is. The key to life is having faith and to remain positive no matter how bumpy the road gets.